I know I'm a bit late on greeting the New Year, but- HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
2010 was an up and down year for me. Not the greatest year, not the worst. This year I'd like to do something out of the ordinary and go through the year with a plan. I want to be more organized, stick to goals I've set for myself and my horses, and be more overall accomplished.
2010 Goal Review:
- Start taking lessons.- Well, I took 3-4 lessons in the Spring/Summer with a Hunt Seat instructor. But they weren't consistent and like I said.. there were only 3-4 of them. I'm going to call this a WIN because I technically did "start" taking lessons. Lol
- Decide on a first "career" for Bones.- Hm.. I think this one is a FAIL. But, we did do a fair amount of trail riding. Also, I really think I'd like to try him in dressage. I feel like does have talent.. but, I just don't know what direction to point him in.
- Get a truck and trailer.- FAILLLL! Haha. Big fail. I couldn't even justify browsing for a rig!
- Get into showing.- FAIL. Well, I did go to two horse shows.. I just didn't participate! Haha
- Buy a saddle that fits Bones well.- Win and fail. I went through SO MANY saddles in 2010! Some fit him and didn't fit me, some didn't fit him and did fit me, etc etc. Right now we are currently saddle-less. (Actually I have a saddle but the part where you adjust the stirrup length is broken). We're using Steve's saddle (THANKS STEVE!) and it fits Bones pretty well. I'm looking into getting one that is similar.
On to the 2011 goals.
- Get a saddle that fits Bones and myself. This is a TOP priority, and I'm hoping to find something within a few weeks. As I mentioned in my "2010 Goal Review", we have been using Steve's Abetta saddle. It fits Bones well, but I just don't prefer synthetic saddles. I really want to get a quality leather one. If I can find a really good deal on an Abetta saddle, I'll probably go ahead and buy it.
- Take CONSISTENT lessons. I'm currently looking for a "working student" position so this can be possible. I've exchanged a few e-mails with a trainer from a barn about 20 miles from me. They're a Hunter/Jumper/Equitation barn. Which is fine with me, I took a few Hunter lessons and enjoyed them. I think that I would lean towards the Jumpers, though.. it's always spiked my interest!
- Find a boarding facility that fully meets my and my horses needs. I don't need some huge fancy place.. that's not what I'm looking for. I want QUALITY hay and grain. A consistent feeding schedule (or, I don't mind feeding them myself). Decent sized turnout pastures, safe fencing, and safe run-in-sheds. I need on-site trails.. I don't have a truck and trailer,(see failed 2010 goals!) so I can't haul out. I need an indoor arena with good footing.. I love trails, but working in the arena is ample for both horse and rider. An outdoor arena would be an awesome bonus.. but it isn't mandatory. Overall I just want my horses to be safe, healthy, and happy!
- Get into school. This isn't a horse goal, but I figured I should add it. This needs to happen pretty soon. I'd like to be enrolled for the Spring quarter.
Instead of making super specific goals for each month at the beginning of the year.. I'm going to play it by ear and make goals at the beginning of each month instead. I may do a couple of months in advance, but who knows. We will see what happens!!!Bones says Happy New Year blog world!


No comments:
Post a Comment