Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Updates

Bones moved to his new home last Tuesday (I can't believe it's be a week already!). The first few days he was being super-douche. Super high strung and stallion-y. The owner's little Haflinger mare, Stella, was in heat and being quite the little hoochie. Every time I brought Bones inside to groom/lunge/ride, he would just call to her constantly and try to break out of the cross ties. I put the chain over his nose and with a few firm yanks he actually quieted down. 




But, after the first few days he went back to his sweet self. We've ridden 4-5 times already since being at the new farm. Several rides in the outdoor arena and several trail rides.












I feed Tuesday and Thursday mornings (also random feedings as needed), so I typically ride after I feed. The barn owner asked me to feed yesterday morning. After I fed I took Bones on a 35 or so minute trail ride. We mostly walked, but around the pond is the perfect place to trot/canter.. so I couldn't resist! He had one spook, I think a turtle jumped into the pond when we were walking around it. It was as very pleasant morning ride on my ponyface!

When we got back to the barn, Jen (a fellow boarder) had her horse, Bella, out and said she was about to ride. Since Bones and I didn't ride long, I asked if we could go out with them. We decided to ask the BO to haul us to a nearby park and pick us up in a couple of hours. He agreed, so I un-tacked Bones, switched saddles.. and tossed my western saddle in the back of Jen's truck. We loaded up Bones and Bella, and headed to Lobdell. It was a short ride, like 15 minutes tops. Both of the horses un-loaded relatively easy and weren't riled up by the trailer ride. We tacked up pretty quickly, and hit the trails. It was a really nice ride. A lot of paths along large fields, and some really nice/narrow trails in the woods. In the middle of the entire park there is a frisbee-golf course. Whoever thought of combining a frisbee-golf course and bridle paths must have been on crack! Lol We walked through a creek for a little bit.. nothing very deep maybe a foot at the deepest point. We did a lot of trotting and some cantering. Neither of the horses spooked once (even with a few frisbee's flying, and people popping out of the woods!), Bones stayed calm and was super easy to control even when we did a short gallop. That's what he's always like, but it's nice to see it he is consist even with no time to adjust to the surroundings. We rode for about 2 hours, then headed back to the barn. 
Bones and Bella waiting to be loaded on the trailer









No comments:

Post a Comment